søndag 6. september 2009

So, your source code is open to the world?

One of the first reactions I had to this blog was the question "Your source code is accessible to the world?" It is a fair question. The default seems to be to keep your source code locked away and only show it off if you are really proud and you have double checked that you can't make any money from it. I am not hoping to make any money from this project, but I know that at least in some ways my source code is really ugly. I should be hiding my source code under a rock some place far away. So why is it publicly available?

I could try to say something smart about this, but it turns out Brian Fitzpatrick and Ben Collins-Sussman already have. According to them, we too often compare ourselves to the mythical genius programmer. In reality I really have no reason to keep my source hidden.

Instead of fearing what random strangers might think about my source code, I have started accepting that everything is a draft and perfection only keeps you from getting done. Who knows? Maybe somebody can make use of my source code some time? I would rather make that gamble.

So please, go and check it out. :)

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar